About Me

My photo
Churchill, Manitoba
With my move to Churchill Manitoba now complete, I am more than ready to start working as a nurse in this beautiful community.I can't think of a better place to start my career, geographically and spiritually; there is something very special about Churchill. I don't know if it's the fact that you can see belugas and polar bears from the hospital windows, or how within a week we had met all our neighbours, or how Marc-Andre and I feel totally at home after only 2weeks of living here! The next year of my life will be full of twists and turns and exciting new experiences, so hold on tight and I will keep you updated!
Nursing is my way of celebrating life. -TILDA SHALOF
.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Everyday is Mother's Day

Today I'm feeling passionate. Well not just today... lately. About what? A lot of things that I have always cared about, but I'm feeling restless right now and I think the best way to start doing something with that feeling is to start by writing a blog about something that started as a joke. But for some reason I can't get it out of my head. Let me start by saying that I love watching Oprah, not every show all the time, but for some reason I seem to catch a lot of her shows. And of course she's been on TV longer than I've been alive so I find myself remembering things from my childhood when I watch her show. Also I think that her show is pretty relevant to growing up in the last 22 years, the challenges my parents had raising me and the challenges that most people face trying to figure out how to live a happy life in today's society. So back to the joke, I always say while watching Oprah, that she looks so much like my mom. Most people think (not that I tell everyone this as I am aware that most people would not see it that way) that it's pretty funny. But every time I watch her on TV it makes me think of my mom. I've started to wonder why.
And it's only been in the last 5 years or so that I've started thinking this. I think that living away from home now, watching Oprah is something inspiring and familiar. It makes me think of sitting on the couch in my parent's house. I don't think my mom and I watched that much Oprah together though, and to me the resemblance is striking, lol. I think I've realized now what it is, they both have strong, beautiful spirits. Their inside shines out so strong. My mom can do anything and does everything, and she makes me feel like I can do anything I want to and anything I don't think I can. And not just that I can but that I need to make it my mission to be all that I can be. That's pretty Oprah I think. 
My mom always seemed to know when to push me to do something, and if and when I took her advice I never regretted it. Things like redoing a paper in high school, getting off my butt and going for a run, or joining the a club. So now that I'm all grown up I find that now and then I get this urge out of the blue that I have to go try a new recipe, take a course, or plant some flowers and I just get up and do it. So thank you Mom for teaching me how to be as brave, creative and fun as you are.
I am so lucky to have a woman like my mom to look up to, and to remind me that women are awesome. And I mean that. I am in awe when women don't let anything make them question who they are and what they can do. I admire every female that speaks out with a positive message because I know that it is much easier to keep quiet and let others do the talking; because not only does your opinion matter but you are speaking for those who are not courageous enough to speak up themselves. I'm working on that myself. And I admire every women that raises children to be strong and giving members of society when society has not been good to them. Women kick butt.
That's all.


A quote from the Oprah Show - 
"My mother had handed down respect for the possibilities—and the will to grasp them." —Alice Walker 

No comments:

Post a Comment